We Have Come Such A Long, Long Way, Baby!
Especially since this Heyoka Interview got the ball rolling, & the Pretendians-AIMsters Gangsters & their legal protectors, enablers, supporters, financiers are irrefutably EXPOSED!
Always follow the money trail boys & girls…it always leads you to the TRUTH….
Including forensic science, DNA etc goes right to the lying,. Embellishing, murdering, raping, pilfering Pedofiles & their associates!
It is no longer covered up by the US Govt any longer, nor is the Custer Myth!
The Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin &Wakan Tanka/JC always brings the TRUTH to the SURFACE!
Heyoka Magazine 2006 Looking Back Woman Interview part one updated
LOOKING BACK WOMAN
The Cannunpa Wakan-Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin updated
Looking Back Woman. Second from left. John Fire Lame Deer. Right
John Fire Lame Deer, and Tetuwan Oglala Ceremonial Chief & Holy Man,
Frank Fools Crow were spiritual mentors of HakiktaWin-Looking Back Winyan.
John LeKay. Can you please tell me about your recollection of John Fire Lame Deer?
Looking Back Woman:This is from the Northwest Indian News March 1974…… Dedication of Indian Lands at Ft. Lawton:
Long ago at the beginning of creation the Great Spirit blessed this land. What we do today is to lay the foundation of the Great Spirit-Creator on this land until the earth crumbles. With those words, Lame Deer, Lakota Holy Man and author of “Lame Deer–Seeker of Visions” consecrated the Indian land at Discovery Park in the sacred Lakota manner. With tremendous wisdom, humor and dignity, Lame Deer seemed to uplift the hearts of the almost 100 Indians and non-Indians who were present to a world far beyond the man-made world of steel & concrete.
After honoring the seven Cardinal directions, Lame Deer turned towards Seattle and said, “Noise, noise, noise. too much TV, radio, and man-made stuff.” Then, turning towards the west, towards a small grove of bare trees on the Indian land, he said “The Great Spirit is on that side. Take your bedroll and sleep for a night among those trees. You will hear the Great Spirit speaking in the ways of the Spirit.”
Concluding the ceremony which took place on Saturday, February 16th, 1974, the 70 year old Lame Deer said, “My last words to you are this. Be happy. This life passes very quickly. Turn to your brothers & sisters around you with a smile and reach out and shake their hand.” With this, Lame Deer smiled and walked through the crowd that was present, shaking everyone’s hand.
After the ceremony a potluck dinner was shared in the old Indian way by all of those present, Indian and non-Indian. The spirit of unity seemed to echo Lame Deer’s own words: “We all must work together, both White and Indian, for we are all the children of the same Great Spirit, our Father, Creator.
The event was sponsored by the United Indians of All Tribes Foundation. Written by Phil Lane Jr. who a Bahai & now an AIM supporter, & an endorser of Arvol Looking Horse hoax-fraud.
John LeKay: What is the Sacred Hoop?
- Looking Back Woman: The Sacred Hoop is the Circle of Life…continuance…….the fire without end. And, at the Center is the Cannunpa Wakan, the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, the accompanying teachings & Sacred Lifeways. This is what it means to me….My Father was given the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin to carry, because he had the proper vision in 1970, shared that vision with Fools Crow, & that vision was to rebuild the Hoop of Life for all of mankind, & all living things upon Mother Earth….this is the destiny of this Cannunpa, because of the lightening bolts at the feet of the buffalo on the bowl…..purification of evil, is what David Swallow Jr. said about lightening….and the Thunderbeings, who protect that which is Sacred.
- LBW. See what Martha Bad Warrior had to say about the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, in this rare… AIM & academia supressed book by Wilbur Riegert, The Quest For The Pipe of the Sioux, As Viewed From Wounded Knee. You will really like this.
JL: Even AIM member, & Arvol Looking Horse supporter, David Swallow Jr said this about the Cannunpa: ”That It is not a Pipe. A pipe is an English word that means many things. The Cannunpa is the blood of the Ancestors and the tree of life, and it has laws by which a person MUST live. To load a Cannunpa, a person must not kill, must not have blood on their hands. The person must not have jealousy or hate in their heart or actions, and a person must never lie or fool the people or else the Cannunpa will turn around on that person”.
JL: What are your thoughts on this?
- LBW: This is the way I have come to understand the actual events from my extensive Lakota historical & spiritual research. This is why Fools Crow did not want It carried by someone within the urban militant domestic terrorist AIM group, why Frank Fools Crow wanted the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin off reserve, and carried (by my Father, having the proper vision to carry It)…..and for good reason, look at the carnage & murders by AIM during the Seige of Wounded Knee 1973. AIM took over Wilbur Riegerts trailer home, burned all this information on Martha Bad Warrior at the Wounded Knee Museum, and the records in DC. on the Trail Of Broken Treaties (1972) about this part of our Tetuwan Lakota Spiritual history, it is my belief & opinion as a victim of AIM (rape) & witness to AIMs carnage & criminal activities, including murders…..it was to change history….so AIM & their US Government handlers could control that which is Sacred to 1st Nations people domestically & globally for US interests, & AIM financial enrichment…which is still ongoing with Leonard Crow Dogs spiritual scam in Mexico, Central & South America.
- My question has always been why would the AIM & their Lakota members burn their own Tetuwan spiritual history, if our Tetuwan Ancestors are so dear…..especially Martha! Why would this be tolerated? Richard Two Elk’s interview, as a former AIM member is an eyeopener…..and, he also talks about Anna Mae Aquash’s murder by AIM. The interview is easy to access from my site, if you’d like to read it for yourself…..
JL:. John Fire Lame Deer said: “Besides the Pte Hincala Huhu Canunpa this Elk Head family also kept a second, very sacred tribal Cannunpa, one among the first made from red pipe stone. The way the White Buffalo Winyan had taught the people to make. This old Cannunpa served as a model for after which all the other Cannunpas are made. It has the feather of a Red Eagle tied to its handle. This brings to mind the eagle who rescued the only survivor from the flood, who gave birth to twins who, in turn, grew into the Tetuwan Sioux Nation. It also reminds us, the eagle is the symbol of wisdom, almost as important to we Tetuwans as the Buffalo. Therefore many of our medicine men therefore have a eagle feather tied to their Cannunpas.”
JL: Is this the Cannunpa one of the ones described by John Fire Lame Deer, the Cannunpa you are the caretaker of?
- LBW: Yes, this is my understanding, that It is the authentic Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, John Fire Lame Deer was there at my Lakota adult naming ceremony by Fools Crow. I also had the Keepers of the Sacred tradition of Pipemaking from Pipestone, Minnesota come all the way out to the West Coast to see what I carry, as they had information that corresponded with my information…..Riegert and Standing Eagle played a huge part in saving the true, accurate history of our Lakota Spiritual Legacy brought to the Lakota from our Father, Creator, & Whope, also called White Buffalo Calf Cannunpa Winyan.
JL: So then. Arvol Looking Horse, the faux 19th Generation WBCP Keeper has the deteriorating Calf Pipe, made from the bone of the buffalo leg, eagle feather, 4 scalps and ear, etc, etc….
- LBW: NO, Martha buried that, Arvol Looking Horse has nothing…as nothing authentic was ever passed to Lucy Looking Horse from her Mother Martha Bad Warrior, because Martha stated in Aug 1936, no one in her family was worthy to be the next caretaker of the Pte Hincala Cannunpa kin…because they were becomeing Christianized, as Martha Bad Warriors adopted Father, Red Hair-Elk Head had been, please note photos verifying this info on Twicpix on HakiktaWins photo album showing Red Hair Elk Head with a cruifix around his neck holding his personal Cannunpa, that Frank Fools Crow had passed to HakiktWin at her 1975 Lakota naming ceremony. At the completion of the 5 year series of WBCP Revial Ceremonies & accompanying Sun Dance Ceremonies Frank Fools Crow conducted begining at Pine Ridge in 1970, & finishing in 1975 at Green Grass, with the White Buffalo Calf Cannunpa Bundle being opened by Frank Fools Crow, Lakota Elders & spiritual leaders…annoucement in the Eagle Butte newspaper by Sidney Keith. What has to be acknowledged here is…Arvol Looking Horse ws not present at these series of Revival ceremonies, because Arvol Looking Horse never had the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin…ever! Arvol Looking Horse was even denounced by his own Aunt, Beatrice Medicine, as being a fraud!
Do you have the red stone pipe described by John fire Lame Deer. Is this the same pipe as the Cannunpa described by Martha Bad Warrior, with the engravings of a white buffalo head, turtle and the spider, or the Standing Buffalo facing the bowl Cannunpa?
- LBW: What I know for sure is, Arvol Looking Horses Grandmother, Lucy Looking Horse never was passed the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin….(watch the Marie Elk Head Fiddlers May 2, 2009 Utube video to verifiy this information.) Martha Bad Warrior had Riegert in Aug.1936 witness & record which Cannunpa was the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Cannunpa & (which Cannunpa was the Seven Council Fires Council Cannunpa) both were made from catlinite. I carry the Standing Buffalo facing the bowl Cannunpa, named after the good Lakota man, named Standing Buffalo, when the Cannunpa first came to the Lakota by WBCP Winyan…this Cannunpa was the first catlinite Cannunpa, White Buffalo Calf Pipe Winyan taught the Chiefs to make (1550) from the blood of the people…please note, the bowl discription was changed in Riegerts book, Quest for the Pipe of the Sioux, As Viewed from Wounded Knee to the Buffalo Cow Head bowl, with the stem having a spider, turtle, & buffalo head to protect the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin from being stolen again…but, what was actually passed to Andrew from Martha, & onto Fools Crow & his Uncle, Nicolas Black Elk remained the same, the Standing Buffalo facing the bowl with the lightening bolts at the feet of the Buffalo on the bowl…Black Elk was concerned, because of his accurate discription in Black Elk Speaks gave the correct discription, which made the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin vunerable to being stolen yet again, so the discription was changed to protect It from the US Government & their agents, the American Indian Movement.
- What I have is what Fools Crow had George Bryant/Standing Eagle make a template copy from (from the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin I have), then from that template he made the 14 Cannunpas for the Seven Council Fires Council (one for each, a man & a woman from each of the 7 tribes) were made from. Then, what I carry was returned to Standing Eagle, and It was repaired by cutting the bowl from the standing buffalo, then making the bowl replaceable….It was to be used in large ceremony, where many people smoke at one time…it is easy for the bowl to crack from the heat. But, it is like taking communion, and no one should be refused, unless they have blood on their hands. This was to ensure this piece of the Cannunpa, the lightening bolts at the feet of the Standing Buffalo, would remain with us for all time….to be used for the good of all mankind. That is why White Buffalo Calf Pipe Woman taught us to make them from catlinite…..she knew what she brought us would deteriorate over time….
- Now, what happened to Cannunpas Martha carried no longer remains a mystery…..the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin was passed to Andrew Dupris and his wife, as Wilbur let them use his car to fetch It from Green Grass in fall of 1936….Andrew Dupris passed It to a spiritual man of the Lakota…which was Fools Crow under the guidance of his Father & his Uncle, Nicolas Black Elk….my personal thoughts & opinion on this now are, Fools Crow took It to Canada to return the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin to the vortex, & to the Council Stones, of the Seven Council Fires at Turtle Mountain…..Manitoba….and, from this point, the description changed to the design I carry to protect It, (Black Elk Speaks came out about this time) and, the Cannunpas Standing Eagle carved for Fools Crow by Standing Eagle…..there is proof at Pipestone these two men, Fools Crow & Standing Eagle had more contact than previously thought, and eyewitness accounts from the Manitoba Sioux Valley Tetuwan-Sioux that Fools Crow was there with the Cannunpa I carry, after Martha Bad Warrior died in Oct 1936 is accurate
JL: Does the common Lakota people man or woman have a right to ask or see this Cannunpa or is this against the Lakota religion and traditions to enquire about these sacred things?
- LBW: Martha stated It was for the good of all mankind, this is why AIM destroyed Marthas image & took over Riegerts trailer home during the Seige of Wounded Knee…..Marthas true teachings which to me means all people are welcome to participate in praying with the Cannunpa Wakan….if also would mean they would be able to see and touch It to smoke It, eh? This is completely different than what is being taught today by AIM……When things are hidden & secret, they are easily manipulated.
- JL: Do you know of anyone who has seen Arvol Looking Horse’s Canunpa or has photographed it recently?
- LBW: Martha allowed Riegert to photograph the Seven Council Fires Cannunpa, when she gave him the interview….he showed Lucy Looking Horse the photo he took after Martha died, and even though it clearly was Lucy Looking Horse also in the photo with her Mother, Martha and the Seven Council Fires Cannunpa…Riegert said Lucy Looking Horse denied being there or being in the photograph…though, Lucy before her death in 1966 did give the very same photo to Raymond Demallie via her Thin Elk relatives with a changed provenance, (this very photo which was a copyrighted photo of Wilbur Riegerts), & Demallie donated the photo to the Smithsonian with the wrong provenance accompanying it….as it remains in the Smithsonian today & the Smithsonian sells to the public with the wrong information. Riegert, knowing Andrew Dupris had the Canunpa passed to him, asked Lucy Looking Horse to see the Cannunpa Lucy was calling the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, and you have to remember this is 1964, Lucy asked for a hundred dollars for Riegert to see the Cannunpa. He asked if It had the Spider,Turtle, Buffalo designs on the stem, Lucy said no…they-the Looking Horse family had another Cannunpa now for Ceremony. This is in Riegerts book….
- Calvin Dupree holds pipe, (Looking back woman’s father) at the sun dance. © Looking Back Woman
- JL: Do you know if Martha Bad Warrior ever buried the old Canunapa, that was described as a foot long and deteriorating and made out of the buffalos left leg and the ankle bone bowl, 4 scalps, ear etc, that John Fire Lame Deer smoked in the shed with Martha?
- LBW: My understanding is that is the Buffalo legbone Cannunpa Martha buried around the same time she passed the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin to Andrew Dupris…..It was the one John Fire Lame Deer speaks about seeing…….
- James Ritchie, archivist from Turtle Mountain researched eyewitness accounts of the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, and no one has seen it in the possession of the Looking Horse family, (re: watch the Marie Elk Head Utube video to know why) only mention is in Lakota Woman, the book by Mary Crow Dog, Leonard’s (wife?) who wrote about some of the goings on during this time….I consider the source, as Leonard tried to get me to pay him 10,000 to come do ceremony for me…and I never requested a ceremony, or ever even contacted him, he got in touch with me….he did not know who I was, and treated me like one of those newager groupie girls, they were getting to pay big bucks for AIM to come do ceremony/healings.
- Leonard Crow Dog had lobbied Fools Crow to carry what was passed to my Father…stating it should be a full blood, not a half breed (check out AIMs own blood quantum, very little if any 1st Nation blood)……however, it was my Father’s commitment to his people, he was a Professor of Native Studies at the U of Lethbridge, and he had the proper vision to carry the Cannunpa in 1970….and, Fools Crow wanted It off reserve…but still available to him…and my Father always took It to Fools Crow when he needed it. There was a lot of traffic between Alberta and South Dakota during this time….my Father even got beaten up in Sheridan, Wyoming…and was really hurt, because he said it was a couple of the AIM guys he danced with between 1970-1975…..
- Fools Crow refused Crow Dog, because he did not want the AIM urban militant domestic terrorist faction to control our Spiritual Legacy….he saw the sickness….and he saw the future of what would happen…he did his best to prevent it by conducting those WBCPC & Sun Dances 1970-1975…and passing the “Staff of Power” back to the women, but the men refused to recognize the transfer…..and now AIM are our so-called Spiritual Elders….though AIM is not, for they have the blood of the innocent on their hands, which is against Tetuwan Lakota protocols & teachings!
JL: When you speak of Fools Crow and your Father not wanting the AIM urban militant domestic terrorist factor to control the Lakota Spiritual Legacy. Frank Fools Crow saw the sickness AIM would bring to the people and the negative influences AIM would bring to the future generations. What did he mean by sickness?
- LBW: The abused became the abusers….Fools Crow saw AIMs exploitation of Lakota ceremonies & the faux Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin that is supposed to be carried by Arvol Looking Horse, saw AIM burn the Tetuwan Lakotas own spiritual history at Wounded Knee, & in D.C. and, eventually Frank Fools Crow & Katie’s own home was burned in 1973 also, it was in retaliation for NOT allowing AIM to control the authentic Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin….Fools Crow lost most of his regalia, and I am sure his special medicines he used to heal…..He and Katie were gone from home at the time…..good reading into the mind of Fools Crow, & how he did what he was able to do in his ceremonies is shared by Thomas E. Mails, he wrote two books on Fools Crow….and, one on the Hopi Prophecies….At the time Mails wrote the Hopi Prophecies, the Hopi still had their stone tablets, which now are said to be lost, with Leonard Crow Dog saying he has the one for the Red Race, Which I do not believe….Just make sure the book you aquire of Wisdom & Power, does not have the intro or foreward written by Russell Means…that reprint would be corrupted by the influences of AIM.
- I say these things because I knew these men, I saw what they did during these times…..I was ground zero, even though I was not right there in South Dakota, (AIM stayed with me on the Trail of Broken Treaties fall of 1972 on their way to D.C in Spokane)……had I been there, with the strength I have about being a woman, being equal to a man…..I’d have ended up like Anna Mae (who was found murdered in 1976 on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and became a martyr for American Indian civil rights)…..as it was,these peopleshould never have entered the arbor the following year, dancing again with my Father, during this series of Ceremonies Fools Crow conducted. You are to have lived a good life, not lying, cheating, stealing, or taking life……to dance, and this clearly was not the case with these guys. I have an interview with a former follower of Crow Dog, she tells me, when the Cannunpa was dug up, and Fools Crow sent someone to Crow Dog’s Paradise for them to come over to view It, none of AIM felt they were worthy….and, they-AIM stayed away….as they stay away today, because AIM fears the power of the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin! I have the letter from Crow Dog apprentice, Mary Thunder somewhere, I can share it with you…
Anna May Aquash was a Mi’kmaq activist from Nova Scotia, Canada who became one of the most active and prominent female members of the American Indian Movement (AIM) during the early 1970s. She was found murdered in 1976 on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation and became a martyrfor American Indian civil rights.
- JL: How did your own path come about of being the Keeper?
- LBW: I believe it was a path for me to follow…..I’ll explain, after Father died….I had the Cannunpa up on top of a freestanding wardrobe overlooking the lake…..out of the bundle….It said it was tired of being wrapped up…so I set It on top to oversee all the goings on over Kootenay Lake overlooking at the Grandfather clouds over the lake & the mountains….and the eagles that hunted the Kokanee, landlocked salmon. Well, one day It jumped off…I had It secured, but It wanted to be moved. I moved her downstairs on my desk..still overlooking the lake. A few days later, I had a visitor, his name was Dan. He came in to sell me advertisement space in his tourist guide of things to do in the Kootenays…when he saw the Cannunpa on my desk. He said, “My friend James Ritchie would be very interested in seeing that…he is an archivist from Turtle Mountain.” Well, he had James call me, and we spoke many times about Bill Moncur, a white guy…that was given the Council Stones to protect by the Lakota, and made hunka…..James could not get him to reveal the whereabouts of the Stones….Bill was 90+, and was beginning to fail….
- You see, if I had not been a Heyoka…grave consequences would have occured, however I & the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, are very much alive & well today!
- That is only possible, because I am doing the will of Creator, the Tetuwan Ancestors, & what Frank Fools Crow set into motion…when he named me HakiktaWin.
- I asked James, have you offered him tobacco? I said the Hunoup speaking Holy Men of the Bear Medicine Societies would have taught him our customs…they had made him Hunka! For an Elder to share with you, you need to pass him tobacco…it is a sign of respect, and understanding of the ways. So, James goes back to Bill Moncur…hands him tobacco…and he tells James everything…including the location of the Stones…concreted into a wall in his driveway….
- In 2002, I put the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin and the Council Stones together again after nearly a hundred years….and from there we have learned a lot about how it all ties together…..
- James has played a major part as historian/archivist in recording my Dupree-Dupris-Dupuis family history & linage, and how the Dupree family ties into the White Buffalo Calf Prophesy….he has a file a foot thick after all these years, and much has come to pass, that I shared with James early on. He has it all recorded, and Turtle Mountain in Manitoba, on the 49th parrel, on the medicine line…is a vortex, that is why there were the medicine wheels there upon the heritage landscape. That is what the cone designs on the Cannunpa bags/bundles mean…”What is in the heavens is here on earth, and what’s here on earth is in the heavens.”
- This is where Fools Crow went when he tried to rebuild the Seven Council Fires after Martha Bad Warrior died in 1936, by having those 14 Standing Buffalo facing the bowl Cannunpas made by Standing Eagle….and without the signature of Standing Eagle, we would not have had anything to bring us full circle to Pipestone, and the Keepers of the Sacred Tradition of Pipemaking. Standing Eagle’s apprentice verified what I had been told…..they came all the way out to the Westcoast to see for themselves the Cannunpa, and they were satisfied it is as I say…the President of Keepers went one step further, and I am so glad he did…he went around to all the old carvers still working the quarry…and asked about Martha’s Cannunpa design, and what they knew to be the truth about the Buffalo Calf Pipe…he was sent a packet from a very old Elder carver…in the packet was Wilbur A. Riegert’s book with the same information. This is how the medicine works, eh?
- Had I not a been heyoka…and did the opposite, by taking the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin out of the Bundle to breathe…..I’d never have learned what I have as far as the authenticity of my research….and, the ability to expose the contradictions & lies of Arvol Looking Horse fraud. We now know what has transpired since Martha passed the catlinite Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin to Andrew Dupris, & Andrew on to Frank Fools Crow, & his Uncle, Nicolas Black Elk….and, also that AIM tried to destroy the Seven Council Fires Cannunpa…they mistakenly thought was the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin.
This picture was painted by Charles Bird King, 1824.
Sleepy Eyes (Eshtahumbah) was born near present-day Mankata, Minnesota, and died at Roberts Couty, South Dakota.
Sometimes given as a Warrior and sometimes as a Chief, Sleepy Eyes was a member of the 1824 Sioux delegation to Washington led by Chief Little Crow. His name can be found on the Prairie du Chien treaties of 19 August 1825 and 15 July 1830 and the 30 November 1836 St. Peters Treaty.
Born in 1780 at Swan Lake in Nicollet County, Chief Sleepy Eyes (ish-Tak-Ha-Ba) was said to be a kind and friendly person, large, muscular, six feet two inches tall.
- JL: What are these 7 Council Fires Councils?
- LBW: The Seven Council Fires would be of the Lakota/Nakota/Dakota, the Council Stones represent this governing body that was in place until Chief Sleepy Eye died without a successor during the Indians Wars. It was never reestablished, because of the genocide occurring…it was Fools Crows dream to reestablish it to govern the use of the Cannunpa Wakan-Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin…hence the 14 Buffalo Calf Cannunpas Fools Crow commissioned Standing Eagle to make….one for a man and one for a woman of each of the Seven, under the banner of the Seven,
- there are 32 sub-bands. It would be the responsibility of the 14, appointed by their commitment to community service and lifestyle, to attend to the needs and concerns of the 32 sub-bands.
- It would be the democratic process we had in ancient times…like when the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin (in approx. 1550) came to the people.
- JL: Going back to what you said earlier about Sacred ceremonies and money. Why shouldn’t a modern day medicine man/woman, or a Keeper of the original Sacred Cannunpa, charge $10,000, or 150 per head, for conducting these sacred pipe ceremonies?
- LBW: It comes from the Creator…..the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, the accompanying ceremonies and teachings, he did not charge us…but, Creator did leave instruction on how we were to teach others & protocols of using the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin….and that did not include charging for ceremony or paying to pray! If people have noticed, nowhere do I charge for anything I share & educate people against exploitation of the Sacred, nor do I charge anyone who comes to me in a respectful manner to be healed by the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin.
- It is ok to take care of the spiritual persons travel expenses, associated with his accepting your filled Cannunpa, for a healing….
- The other (Leonard Crow Dog), charging 10,000, should be associated with a speaking engagement, not ceremony….but they’ve (AIM) mixed it all up, and together. There are real medicine people, who will do nothing like that…like Pete Catches Jr, and Godfrey Chipps was recognized by Lame Deer, as having the ability, unfortunately that ability has been misused & he is currently incarcerated….there is a huge difference between education and exploitation….What needs to be understood, if you misuse your gift from Creator, you & your Oyate will suffer the consequences.
JL: Has your speaking out now have something to do with the fulfillment of the 7th Generation Prophecy?
- LBW: This is the feeling of those who write me, I feel we have a wonderful opportunity to embrace one another through the teachings WBCP Winyan brought to us, with the Cannunpa Wakan. We Tetuwan Lakota don’t want just a figure head, representing what the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin used to mean…..I want the power of the Cannunpa used for the good of mankind and Mother Earth….we need to make a decision as people, if we want a future for our children…because, it isn’t looking too good for them. Desire for money, celebrity & fame is the reason….we are killing ourselves over our desire for material wealth. We are allowing someone outside ourselves….to decide what is important for us as people…we can’t eat money, we can’t breath money….we can’t drink money, period. We need to change how we think, and how we create our reality…
JL: What are your thoughts on the recent birth of the white Buffalo calf and what does this mean to you as the authentic Keeper of the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin?
- LBW: There has been many white buffalos born since the birth of Miracle……we are being given a second chance…..and if we unite collectively in purpose and intent, following the Teachings WBCPW brought to us, and we use the Cannunpa as instructed, and we acknowledge responsibility for our desire for money over the Creator’s will…and do something about it now…we may change the course of events that threaten Mother Earth. Every person who carries a Cannunpa should be filling that Cannunpa for the illness that Mother Earth is enduring….when she suffers, we suffer….we and it, is all connected…if something is lost though our thoughtlessness, and we create an imbalance….there is an imbalance in all things….and we are there now.
JL: What do you think is the solution to all this Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin controversy and conflict?
- LBW: Look at this…..
- Proclamation Regarding The Keeping of The Sacred Pipe, this would not have occured if I, HakiktaWin had not come forward with the truth about the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, however it is too bad the Lakota still believe Arvol Looking Horse has the Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin…it is obvious, they have not viewed Marie Elk Head Fiddlers Utube video of May 2, 2009.
- Whereas, a meeting was convened by the Sicangu Lakota Grass Roots Oyate on October 21st, 2006, on the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Reservation in South Central South Dakota, whereby approximately 100 people were in attendance from the Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Oyate which included Naca Itahcan Ominiciye, Traditional Chiefs and Headsmen, Treaty councils, Tetuwan Sioux Nation Treaty Council, Spiritual leaders and other organizations and lineal descendants of our chiefs, elders and First Ladies of our Nation,
- Whereas, it was demonstrated at that meeting that the current said Keeper(s) of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe have used It as a fund-raising tool for personal causes and financial gain,
- Whereas, it was demonstrated that the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe which was given to the People as an instrument of peace, healing and understanding, has been used instead to promote the interests of the Keeper(s) without regard for the People,
- Whereas, the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe has been kept secret and not used in public Sacred ceremony for the benefit of the People as it was intended and has traditionally been employed since it was entrusted to the People,
- Whereas, the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe has been employed by the Keeper(s) as a symbol of authority for pronouncements and activities which have caused strife among the People, man against man, man against woman, woman against woman, and woman against man, against to the teachings of The White Buffalo Calf Woman and the Sacred purposes of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe, and
- Whereas, it has been and is amply demonstrated that only continued controversy, strife and ill feelings will accrue if the current holder(s) of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe continue to carry the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe,
- Be it Resolved, that the holder(s) of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe be apprised that the People no longer wish the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe to be carried in this way, disrespectful to the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe, the ways of the Lakota, Dakota Nakota Oyate, and the right principles and laws taught and respected by the People, and
- Be it further Resolved, that it is the desire, will and instruction of the People that a new holder be chosen to carry the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe who will be respectful of It, Its purposes, uses and intents, reflecting the ways of the Lakota, Dakota Nakota Oyate in a good way without any hint of disrespect, and free from personal financial or other interest save dedication to right keeping, and
- Be it further Resolved, that is shall be the duty of the Naca Itahcan Ominiciye, Traditional Chiefs and Headsmen, Treaty councils, Tetuwan Sioux Nation Treaty Council, Spiritual leaders and other organizations and lineal descendants of our chiefs, elders and First Ladies of our Nation, to choose a suitable keeper to ensure the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe is carried in the right way, accessible to the People and prominently used in Sacred Ceremony, as intended and instructed by the While Buffalo Calf Woman, and
- Be it further Resolved that should the Naca Itahcan Ominiciye, Traditional Chiefs and Headsmen, Treaty councils, Tetuwan Sioux Nation Treaty Council, Spiritual leaders and other organizations and lineal descendants of our Chiefs, Elders and First Ladies of our Nation, meeting on the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Reservation in South Central South Dakota, choose to not take action by a designated date, or by choosing an interim Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe until the matter is finally decided, that it shall be the right and duty of the Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Oyate, including Spiritual leaders and other organizations and lineal descendants of our Chiefs, Elders and First Ladies of our Nation, Ehankehan omniciye kte lo, meeting in traditional way, to settle the issue for the Seven Counci l Fires of the People and present themselves for keeping the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe, taking physical custody of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe and ensuring It is kept in the right way….
Please note: If you intend to take physical custody with what Arvol Looking Horse says he has, you will not have the original Pte Hincala Cannunpa Kin, Mitakuye Yapi!
Extracted from above Interview
“LBW: Martha stated It was for the good of all mankind, this is why AIM destroyed Marthas image & took over Riegerts trailer home during the Seige of Wounded Knee…..Marthas true teachings which to me means all people are welcome to participate in praying with the Cannunpa Wakan….if also would mean they would be able to see and touch It to smoke It, eh? This is completely different than what is being taught today by AIM……When things are hidden & secret, they are easily manipulated.”
Below is posted on Republic of Lakota site, by Russell Means
I, Chief Arvol Looking Horse, 19th Generation Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe, would like to thank all the People that attended this historic ‘Protection of Ceremonies’ meeting.
• Bernard Red Cherries – Northern Cheyenne Nation – Northern Cheyenne Arrow Priest and Elk Society Headsman
• Tweety Little Bird– Northern Cheyenne Nation – Northern Cheyenne Elk Horn Scraper Society
• Lee Pedro – Southern Arapahoe Nation – Southern Arapahoe Rabbit Man (Holy Man)
• Dave Chief – Ogallala Nation – Lakota Spiritual Leader
• Dave Swallow – Ogallala Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Kevin Horse Looking – Ogallala Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Floyd Hand – Ogallala Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Silo Black Crow – Ogallala Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Sam Moves Camp – Ogallala Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Chris Leith – Prairie Island Dakota Community – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Gaylen Drapeau Sr. – I-hank-to-wa (Yankton Sioux) Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Gaylen Drapeau Jr. – I-hank-to-wa (Yankton Sioux) Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Ambrose Little Ghost – Spirit Lake Dakota Nation – Dakota Spiritual Leader
• Calvin Medicine Bear First – Assinoboine Nakota Nation – Nation Spiritual Leader
• Leonard Crow Dog – Si-c’an-g’u Rosebud Sioux Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Roy Stone Sr. – Si-c’an-g’u Rosebud Sioux Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Ned Medcalf – Si-c’an-g’u Rosebud Sioux Nation – Interpretor/advisor
• Leon Red Dog – Hoh’-wo-ju Cheyenne River Sioux Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Steve Vance – Hoh’-wo-ju Cheyenne River Sioux Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Francis Yellow – Hoh’-wo-ju Cheyenne River Sioux Nation – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Jacob Sanderson – Cree Nation Canada – Medicine Bundle Keeper
• Kevin Ta-c’an – Sioux Valley Manitoba Dakota Nation – Dakota Spiritual Leader
On March 8th and 9th, Spiritual Leaders and Bundle Keepers of the Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Nation, Cheyenne Nation and Arapahoe Nation were called together to discuss the protection from the abuse and exploitation of our ceremonies. The meeting was held at the Cultural Center in Eagle Butte, South Dakota, hosted by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe. I would also like to acknowledge the financial donation from the Prairie Island Dakota Community.
Discussions in the meeting included the molestation taking place in ceremony, indecent mockery, mixing of new age beliefs, charging for ceremonies and death, which was never heard of before in our ancient ceremonial history. There was also discussion of the use of other “medicines” (drugs) in and around our ceremonies. When the White Buffalo Calf Woman brought the Sacred Bundle, she instructed that only those with a pure mind and heart should touch the C’anupa. The ceremonies in question, in reference to all the Plains Tribes, were the I-ni-pi (Purification Ceremony), Wi-wanyang-wa-c’i-pi (Sundance Ceremony) and Han-ble-c’i-ya (vision quest) Sacred Rites.
We put out notice in the newspapers, native radio stations and also contacted people through the phone. I offered prayers for the safe journey of the People to this very important historic meeting. Those that could not attend, I acknowledge their prayers for a good outcome for our concerns.
After long discussion and testimonies of the concerns and issues, it was decided that it would be up to me, as the Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe to make a decision. It was good to feel the beginning of a Unity amongst our People. This has been my concern for many decades, especially now, when we are facing an oncoming war. We need to stand strong with our ceremonies!
I will state what the decision is and also explain the reasons. I will state the protocols to our Seven Sacred Rites, which were passed down to me when I became the next Keeper at the age of 12 years old. These protocols are traditional knowledge passed down through our oral history and need to be brought back to strengthen our ‘Ho-c’o-ka’ (our sacred alters) once again.
I will also address the areas that I cannot be involved in. My responsibility is the Seven Sacred Rites.
It was decided, from March 9th, 2003 and forward, there will be no non-Natives allowed in our sacred Ho-c’o-ka (our sacred alters) where it involves our Seven Sacred Rites. The only protection with this decision in Government law; is that only enrolled members can carry an eagle feather. In all the Seven Sacred Rites, there has always been the understanding of earning and a requirement of an eagle feather while participating in these Rites. The eagle feather stands for Indigenous knowledge and guidance in our spiritual ways.
• The Wi-wanyang-wa-c’i-pi (Sundance Ceremony): The only participants allowed in the center will be Native People. The non-Native people need to understand and respect our decision. If there have been any unfinished commitments to the Sundance and non-Natives have concern for this decision; they must understand that we have been guided through prayer to reach this resolution. Our purpose for the Sundance is for the survival of the future generations to come, first and foremost. If the non-Natives truly understand this purpose, they will also understand this decision and know that by their departure from this Ho-c’o-ka (our sacred alter) is their sincere contribution to the survival of our future generations.
• Please understand the Wi-wanyang-wa-c’i-pi Ceremony is not only taking place in the center (Ho-c’o-ka) with the dancers. The ceremonial participation also depends on all the supporters on the outside of the arbor who should be in prayer. From the gate, to the cook shack, to the fire-keepers, to the supporters around the arbor, to even the moon camp, all people are still a part of this sacred ceremony.
• There should be a preparation of ‘Han-ble-c’i-ya’ (vision quest) before you become a participant of the Sundance.
• We shall go back into this ceremony with the proper protocols before and during the ceremony itself. Only those that have had the dream or direction through a ceremony, in concern of someone’s health, should be dancing. Dancers should be secluded from outside participants, as to not be contaminated by other people’s energy or thoughts. There should be absolutely no food or water during this four-day ceremony. If there are health problems, you should choose a person to finish your commitment. This ceremony is supposed to be for those that believe they can fulfill all required four days of the ceremony.
• Han-ble-c’i-ya (Vision Quest): The vision quest should be only for Native People that have had the dream or vision. This Rite is also for the young men and women that reach the age of 12 years of age.
• I-ni-pi (Purification Ceremony): Those that run this sacred rite should be able to communicate with Tun-ca-s’i-la (our Sacred Grandfathers) in their Native Plains tongue. They should also have earned this rite by completing Han-ble-c’i-ya and the four days and four years of the Wi-wanyang wa-c’i-pi.
• The other four sacred rites of the Hun-ka ka-g’a (Making of a Relative), the Ta-pa kah’-g’o-ya (Throwing of the Sacred Ball), Wi-yan is’-na ti (Womanhood Ceremony) and the Na-g’i glu-ha (Keeping of the Spirit Ceremony), should be only handled by legitimate Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Oyate (People).
• It was also decided only legitimate Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Oyate Medicine Bundle Keepers should handle any other ceremonies that are connected to our Ho-co-ka, such as the Lo-wa-pi and U-wi-pi ceremonies.
• There should be no price tag allowed to participate in any of our Sacred Ceremonies. The only protocol needed for a ceremony is to o-pa-g’i, meaning to offer your C’anupa or offer tobacco that has been prayed with, in which the Medicine Person accepts or not accept if he is not able to assist. Medicine People do need to survive, and if people wish to give a monetary or any other gifts after they receive their help from ceremony, giving it from their hearts, I see no problem with that. We have to have faith that the Grandfathers will provide for our needs to survive in this modern society; whether the gift is money, blankets, food or anything that represents how much they appreciate the help. Some people can afford big gifts, some people cannot. It all balances out.
• My position is only for the Seven Sacred Rites. I cannot dictate to our Medicine People who they allow to attend and support these Rites, in reference to non-Native People. I cannot dictate who they choose to doctor in their ceremonies. I cannot dictate where they travel to doctor.
• I have my own personal feelings on who should be Keepers of our Sacred C’anupa (Pipe). The C’anupa is very sacred and the Keeper should first be given a dream and be of Native decent. This issue should be further discussed in our future meetings. The reason for my feelings is that I am aware the C’anupa has gone out to the International community and has been for sale. I know that most non-Native People do not understand the important protocols or have had the Traditional background to carry this sacred item properly. I am aware of women in their moon and men with blood on their hands (to take ones life intentionally) have been allowed to touch and carry the C’anupa. These serious situations were never to be allowed. I offer thanks to the non-Native People that have returned the C’anupa to our People, after I privately shared my concerns with them. I acknowledge their true sincerity in assisting our Nation to protect the survival of our Traditional way of life on behalf of our future generations. They have helped us bring back honor and respect to our sacred Ho-co-ka and C’anupa.
• There was also discussion of only the Plains Tribal members to participate in the Ho-co-ka of the Wi-wanyang wa-c’i-pi and the Han-ble c’i-ya Ceremonies. In the early 70’s, Chief Fools Crow and my father Stanley Looking Horse decided to allow other Native Nations to participate in these Rites. Their reasons were based on the fact that most Nations have lost their ways through assimilation or lack of Teachers to teach their Indigenous ways. They honored and understood the unity of the First Nations People when different Tribes came to the aid of the Wounded Knee Occupation. I cannot undo their decision out of respect for our Chief and Elder. It has also been in our history that our Ancestors have respectfully shared our ceremonies with other Indigenous Nations.
• The original teachings were that the Pipe Carrier should make their own C’anupa. There was an understanding of the sincere spiritual energy and the traditional values passed down through our bloodlines. All the values of compassion, love, honor, respect and truth are molded into the spiritual life they are creating. I hope that one day the future generations will again pick up this important protocol.
I would like to invite all our Lakota, Dakota, Nakota Nations to the next ceremony when I bring out the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Bundle. The dates in the fall will be announced. During this time we will place the 12 honorable compassionate men to assist in taking care of the concerns of the Sacred C’anupa. We will also discuss the protocols of the need to have a good mind and good heart to be a member of the Societies that will carry out these decisions in a respectful manner.
There will be another Protection of Ceremonies meeting to further discuss and address these serious issues in the future. This meeting will be sponsored by the Cheyenne Nation.
Once again, I thank all those that have offered prayers for these very serious issues to be discussed and handled in a good way.
In the Sacred Hoop of Life, where there is no ending and no beginning!
Arvol Looking Horse,
19th Generation Keeper of the Sacred White Buffalo Calf Pipe
Note: In the proclamation, Arvol starts with ” i ” , as in all me.
Tags: AIM, american indian movement, Annie Mae Aquash, arvol looking cloud, arvol looking horse, buffalo calf woman, clyde bellecourt, fools crow, John Fire Lame Deer, john graham, john trudell, lakota, leonard peltier, martha bad warrior, native ceremony, native news network, ojibwe, perry ray robinson jr., pine ridge, rosebud, russell means, sacred pipe, spirituality, sundance, sweet lodge, wounded knee two
9 Responses to “Heyoka Magazine 2006 Looking Back Woman Interview part one updated”